The Sabine High School was built in 1957, as a modern campus to educate African American children in Sabine Parish, ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade. Designed by Shreveport architects, Seymour Van Os and Theodore Flaxman, the campus served as Many Junior High School, after desegregation in 1970. Classes in the facility ceased in 2001 and today, much of the campus’ interior is deteriorating. In spite of this, the school retains its original character-defining features such as the large expanses of ribbon windows amidst red brick walls.
Sabine High School has a strong, proud alumni network and today local advocates are working to save their school. The “Exploratory Committee of the 12th District” is working to identify new uses that fit the building complex and the surrounding community such as educational and workforce programming, event and entertainment venue, senior living, or a community center. Sabine High School was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2020.