The Alto Presbyterian Church was founded in 1872 and opened this sanctuary the following year. This vernacular frame building was constructed with local cypress. The front porch and additional Sunday School rooms were added during the “gas boom” of the 1920s and 1930s. Legend has it that the steeple’s brass bell is from the very last steamboat that traversed the Boeuf River.
Inquiries for weddings and events continue to come in, but the church must decline due to the severe structural damage. Currently, the church only holds service once a quarter. The congregation is working to repair and raise the foundation, improve drainage, rewire for updated safety and efficiency, and make the building a water-tight place to gather again. The Church has received a $20,000 grant from the D. Thomason Fund of the First Presbyterian Church of Shreveport and continues other fundraising efforts to complete the necessary renovations.